Design Principles_Final Compilation

 






24.08.2021 -  26.11.2021(Week 1 - Week14 )

Wong Wan Jun (0338248)

Bachelor of Computer Science (School of Computer Science and Engineering)(Minor)
Design Principles // Final Compilation & Reflection

Exercises & Projects

Exercises
Project 1: Self-Portrait
Project 2: Sense of Place
Project 3: Visual Analysis


Exercise 1: Gestalt Theory & Contrast

Fig1.1: Final Design of Gestalt Theory
Fig1.2: Final Design of Contrast

Final Design of Exercise 1


Exercise 2: Emphasis & Movement

Fig1.3: Final Design of Emphasis

Fig1.4: Final Design of Movement

Final Design of Exercise 2

Exercise 3: Harmony & Symbol

Fig1.5: Final Design of Harmony

Fig1.6: Final Design of Symbol 

Final Design of Exercise 3

Project 1: Self Portrait 
Fig1.7: Final Outcome of Project 1

Final Design of Project 1

Project 2: Sense of Place
Fig1.8: Final Outcome of Sense of Place

Final Design of Project 2

Project 3: Visual Analysis
Fig1.9: Final Outcome of Visual Analysis

Final Design of Project 3

Final Reflection
From this module, I have learnt a lot that I will not learn from my major course. First and foremost, design principles. I don't even know the occurrence of these principles until I enrol in this module. I learnt and created designs base on these principles, it was interesting and challenging experience for me. Understanding design principles is important for designer to design an outstanding artwork. I really appreciate the moments that I spent to this module. I enjoyed the process from nothing to everything, it was satisfying and bring me the sense of fulfilling. Every design comes with implementation of different design principles. I enjoyed the most in third exercise, I really like the outcome of harmony and symbol, especially symbol design. It do interpret messages that I try to convey: ocean pollution. As what I have mentioned in my exercises blog, "water drop represent ocean, where whale lives in. As the ocean pollution getting serious, whale might not longer fit inside the ocean in future. The negative space of water drop represent the ropes, the whale will be trapped if pollution continue." However, there is something I do not enjoyed with. I am not able to receive feedback for my first and second exercise as my portal is locked. I felt disconnected with class and don't have any motivation to complete them. I am not satisfied with my movement design outcome, I do like the sketch of it, but I am not able to make it true. At first, I wanted to draw it by using drawing pad (although I am not good with it, but I want to give it a try), but my skill does not let me to archive that. I have learnt something about myself through this module. I am not taking serious when it comes to visual research. It was an essential part included in design process but I choose to neglect it at first. I thought that it was not important and will not affect our design. Actually it does, visual research enables us to observe others artwork and pay attention on how others implement design principles in their design, then, we will come out with our own design. The thing that have changed is that I will observe and think what design principles has been implemented in artwork that I saw. Thinking the reason of designer putting every elements, what messages that he/she trying to convey? Moreover, I started to implement different drawing style in my design, for instance, project 1. The style was totally different from what I have used before, it was quite challenging, but I like the outcome of it. In my learning journey, that is something has not changed, which is procrastination. Although I finished my work on time, I am not able to complete it early. There is something that could be improve in this module. In my opinion, I think that lecture should also included in lecture session, while giving feedback during tutorial and practical session.

Comments

Popular Posts