Design Principles_Project 3








29.10.2021 -  26.11.2021(Week 10 - Week14 )

Wong Wan Jun (0338248)

Bachelor of Computer Science (School of Computer Science and Engineering)(Minor)
Design Principles // Project 3

Lecture
This week, we are going to learn about Visual Analysis. Before moving to topics, Ms Jinchi first introduce  Visual Literacy. It is a set of abilities that enables an individual to effectively find, interpret, evaluate, use and create images and visual media. It refers to an interdisciplinary concepts and plays an important role across higher education in many fields. 

Visual Analysis is a critical part of visual literacy, a skill that helps people read and critically interpret images, whether in a museum, on social media, in entertainment, advertising, or the news.

Visual Analysis can be included in 3 parts:
  • Phase1: Observation
    •  Express what we perceive when describing the visual aspect of the design; there's no need to go into any deeper meanings yet.
    • Looking, thinking and finding good language to communicate what you notice.
  • Phase2: Analysis
    • Make statements about the artwork based on theory and design principles, similar to the observation stage; more specific features are indicated here.
    • How your eye is led through the work and why?
  • Phase3: Interpretation
    • Observation and Analysis are fused together with facts of the design work (historical context),  and historical context that you find in trustworthy published sources.
    • What is the meaning of the design? 
    • What was the purpose for it to be created?

Instruction
1. Visual Analysis
  • Select a design of your choice (poster/billboard/illustration/etc).
  • Conduct a visual analysis of the design in about 500 words.
2. Design
  • Produce a work of design, in A4 or in A3 size, inspired/influenced by the design you have analysed, or as a reaction to it.
  • Write a 150-200 word rationale for your design.
Visual Analysis & Research
Fig1.0: 'Falling Apart' by Samantha Mash, 2020
https://www.samanthamash.com/summertime-shopping-1
1. Observation
'Falling Apart' is an editorial illustration by Samantha Mash in 2020. A portrait in square format has been used for the design of the piece. The use of complementary colours such as red and orange is implemented. Overall, it appears to be a little homogeneous due to the fact that no other colour scheme has been used. There is a wavy flow applied throughout the whole composition. The arrangement of the shapes themselves are destructive. The character's right eye has been highlighted with a smooth line, and her skin, clothes, hair, and phone have all been a fragmented pieces.

2. Analysis
Fig1.1: Emphasis in 'Falling Apart'
The design work is composed of an approximate symmetrical balance. The emphasis of the artwork is on woman's eye, which is in orange and red colour and is staring back at the viewer. It also serve as the focal point. The undulating flow in the background creates the impression of movement, drawing attention to the fragmented pieces, which are skin, hair, clothes, and phone. In addition, there is a focus between the eye and the other fractured component of the body. There is a contrast between phone and character's herself as the phone colour is lighter than character's. When viewer look at the phone, it will lead one to look at her eye. The design work gives the viewer a sense of harmony as everything appears to be homogeneous.

3. Interpretation
This is a particular artwork titled 'Falling Apart' and it is designed to response to the fear and panic of online and digital anxieties. Samantha Mash is an artist who work a lot with nature. Her art is heavily focused on symbolism, flow and movement within human and animal forms. With these main areas of interest, she often explores concepts of vulnerability, identity, anxiety in her artwork. In my opinion, it inspired by her real life experiences, as she is working online, it makes her think about opposite effects. 'Falling Apart' would be her artwork which expresses social anxiety and vulnerability. The fragmented pieces represent the moment when her world begins to falling apart, while the predominant colours signify dread and terror. Fragmented phone is one of the visual elements used to depict digital anxieties. This particular artwork reminds me the experience of online learning. Online learning signifies that we can't attend face to face activities. We can't really understand other's perspective when we meet each other through the screen.

Idea Exploration
After complete the visual analysis, I went ahead and drew out some rough sketches of my thoughts. I want to create a design that has a bit of different with artwork that I chosen. The artwork I chose for visual analysis is about social anxieties, where the artist use fragmented pieces to depict it. My first sketch is about an astronaut attempting to flee a devastated earth. The idea of this sketch is inspired by the online learning scenario, as we do not know the other's side of perspective through the screen. The same concept go with we could not estimate how much have we pollute the world, the world will be ruined one day in the future. However, I use cracked earth to depict the damaged world. 

Fig1.0: Cracked Earth Inspiration from pinterest (1)

其中包括图片:{{ pinTitle }}
Fig1.1: Cracked Earth Inspiration from pinterest (2)

其中包括图片:{{ pinTitle }}
Fig1.2: Astronaut Reference from pinterest


Fig1.3: First Sketch

Fig1.4: Colour Scheme Reference

The idea of second sketch below is similar to the first sketch. It is inspired by the TV series, 'The 100'. One of the scene related to the future people come back to the damaged world. My initial idea is more on the contrast between childhood and adulthood. I wanted to draw a child is protected and curious about the world outside while the world outside is cracked and looks dark. Suddenly, 'The 100' appears in my mind and I decided to draw like a people travel from future came back to earth, and she found that the world is cracked and looks dull. 
其中包括图片:{{ pinTitle }}
Fig1.5: Buildings reference from pinterest (1)

其中包括图片:{{ pinTitle }}
Fig1.6: Buildings reference from pinterest (2)
I did some visual research of buildings so that I know what kind of buildings that I wanted to include in my design. After that, I am thinking what will be the transportation of our future life? UFO appeared in my mind, but I decide to make it looks like the crystal ball as it signify future too.

其中包括图片:{{ pinTitle }}
Fig1.7: UFO reference from pinterest

其中包括图片:{{ pinTitle }}
Fig1.8: Crystal ball reference from pinterest 


Fig1.9: Second Sketch

After receive feedback of Ms Jinchi, I decided to go with the second design and make some amendment on it. I used cracked earth instead of crystal ball. However, I did not make it become fragmented pieces as I want it to have a contrast between cracked buildings. 

Fig1.10: First Refined Sketch 

Fig1.11: Colour Progress

Fig1.12: First Attempt

When I was refining sketch for my design, an idea appear in my mind. How about I make the cracked earth become the background? I do implement bubble to replace crystal ball to see the difference. 

Fig1.13: Second Refined Sketch

Fig1.14: Crystal ball reference

Fig1.15: Second Attempt

Fig1.16: Bubble reference from pinterest

Fig1.17: Third Attempt

I prefer crystal ball instead of bubble. In my opinion, I think bubble is not enough to interpret what I am going to convey. It may signify that the character is protected inside the bubble and she is observing the world outside. On the other hand, crystal ball did what bubble did, but it symbolise the future additionally.

Fig2.0: Final Version of Visual Analysis

Feedback

Week11:
Ms Jinchi commented that I should move some part of the observation to interpretation. Implement 'fragmented' pieces instead of 'broken' pieces. She said that it was good when I enlarge details of design in photo, so that she don't need to scroll up to see the artwork again. 
Week12:
Ms Jinchi suggested me to add some self-experience on online experiences. Do not copy original words from any websites.
Ms Jinchi suggested I can add all human in first sketch instead of astronaut which is quite a ridiculous attempt as we are not able to jump of the earth. She understand my first sketch design idea is do not think that human jump off the earth is possible. Moreover, she thinks that the cracked effect on earth is great and suggested that I may think on how to expand this idea(maybe it does not have to show the astronaut is leaving). For the second design, Ms Jinchi thinks that crystal ball itself also symbolise the 'future' because it is used as a medium to communicate with future in western culture. The second design is better in showing destruction, destitute and a broken world. Also, she do commented the crystal ball may represent a comfortable world, while the cracked outside world represent reality or the future we do not know. Ms Jinchi reminded me that do not depict the building from the TV series directly. She also suggested me to try out the cracked world instead of cracked building, or substitute the crystal ball with cracked world

Week14:
Ms Jinchi commented that I did not put much effort in visual research. I should do more in order to get idea for background of first design. Other than that, she mentioned that I could use crystal ball to indicate that the character is living in the bubble.

PDF Version (Project 3)


Rationale
I have named this artwork as 'The Future Earth'. It is like a foretell of what we will experience in the future if we keep pollute the world. The future earth may be not suitable for human beings to live, we may be moved to other planets, and this artwork depicts when we travel back to earth in future. The cracked and dull buildings represent the polluted world while the crystal ball is a future transportation, it signifies future, and the character is protected inside it. There is a deeper meaning of the character in the crystal ball, as we were protected inside it, we don't really know how much the earth is suffering, we will only know when the damage is noticeable, and irreparable. Moreover, I have applied design principles in this piece of artwork, which is balance, emphasis, and movement. The balance occurs in the buildings of the design, it is symmetric and presented in equal weight. The movement can be found in the buildings and the earth, it leads viewer to look at the crystal ball and character. We can found emphasis between character and buildings because of their size and colour. The size of the character is the smallest in the design, while the buildings is the biggest. On the other hand, the colour of character is bright while the buildings looks dull.

Reflection
For the final project, I actually like it a lot when I am doing it. It requires a lot of writing and I am not good at it as my english is quite bad. However, I enjoy the process when I am designing my final project. I found that it is important to include visual research in our blog, as I did not notice the importance of it before. I thought that it was not necessary to include it and I did not found it helpful. However, after received feedback from Ms Jinchi, she told me the importance of it, and when I start to do my visual research seriously, it actually helps me to observe others designs and come out with my own design. Overall, I am satisfied with my final project.






Comments

Popular Posts