Design Principles_Project 1







28.09.2021 - 15.10.2021 (Week 6 - Week 8)

Wong Wan Jun (0338248)

Bachelor of Computer Science (School of Computer Science and Engineering)(Minor)
Design Principles // Project 1

Self-Portrait

Lecture
What is a Self-Portrait?
  • A self-representation in a form of a drawing/painting/sculpture/design.
  • A visual depiction of the self. 
Diagram below gives idea of what could be focus in self-portrait:
Fig1.0: Self Diagram

This video shows 3 different self-portrait that worked by different artist. They had a unique perspective on identity, both in terms of how they perceived themselves and how others saw them.

This video indicated that self-portrait is a visual representation of yourself. It might not looks like you but it do represent you, who you are in a person. It captured who you are at a specific point in time. It does not even need to have your face, the more it abstract, the more it becomes you. It could be in term of beauty/spirit whatever could represent us. 

Visual Research
I explored pinterest to get some inspiration from how usually people portray their faces. The below artworks by Angela Maria Sierra is quite interesting as she implements the combination of botanical elements and colour. The portrait begins with focus on texture and pattern as she paints clusters of twigs and leaves with watercolour. 



Fig2.0: Bring True to your nature III by Angela Maria Sierra

Fig2.1: Turning on the lights inside & Being true to your nature

Idea Exploration
After done exploration, I start to sketch out my idea for self-portrait. The first idea is about the contrast of reality and imagination. My imagination is always wonderful and great like rainbow while real life always let me down. Therefore, I came out with an idea of rainbow vs black and white.

Fig3.0: First Sketch for Self-Portrait

For the second idea, it is about whatever I met in my past was wonderful and the road created by shoulder represents my future, what I will experience will also be wonderful. Flowers bloom and ideal moment is right there. 
Fig3.1: Second Sketch for Self-Portrait

I decided to use photo of me for my self-portrait. I drew out myself and add background on it. I tried to use different colour to draw out my hair and skin. It was quite hard to draw it with various colour. 

Fig3.2: Photo of Me

Fig3.3: Progress 1 

Fig3.4: Progress 2

I drew skull to represent reality instead of using black & white and added effect on it so that it looks better. In the eyes of skull, I added flower so it bring out the idea of 'hope'. 

Fig3.5: Skull Designed

Fig3.6: Different Hair Attempt

Fig3.7: Final Outcome

Feedback
Ms Jinchi suggested me to change my idea to 'hope' instead of 'imagination'. She thinks that there are some connection between my two sketches. From my sketches, she is able to relate positivity with my personality.

Reflection
From this project, I learnt that self-portrait does not really need to be your face in. It just contain elements that are able to depict you. It was hard to capture my specific point, I can't really find something special about me so I just simply come out what always in my mind. This project remind me to discover myself more and gaining more understanding on my personality. 

PDF Version (Project 1)




Comments

Popular Posts